TwelveDot is very humbled to be asked to have our Managing Director, Faud Khan, be a panelist on a webinar primarily focused on Africa and industry impact of COVID-19. The general direction of the webinar shall be from a “leadership, strategy and operational level” with regards to CIOs role in normal times vis – a – viz the new normal defined by COVID – 19. What is expected to be the CIOs role in the present and the future and what does COVID – 19 impact portend for Africa in terms leveraging technology to leapfrog Africa and solving its peculiar challenges. Are there any positives for Africa?
Lets hope so, as Africa has developed a strong momentum of growth in the ICT sector and findings ways to recover quickly and continue to grow GDP and multiple sectors. Understanding how to manage the recovery is going to be key to stabilizing the economy.
We hope you can join us. Please use the following link: CIOAFRICA to register for this online event.
After the discussion this morning and questions received I wanted to provide some additional closing thoughts.
- Companies of all sizes will have to look at operational models and then derive threat models from each one. This is going to have to consider the assets both company owned and that of their staff.
- SMBs are going to have think about governance much sooner and implement a framework to identify and mitigate risks.
- Your staff will become a bigger target and will make some decisions that are not risk based. i.e. use or lack there of a home router with advanced security features or not setup in “default state”.
- Having insecure IoT devices on the same insecure network will provide for a pivot point for compromised devices.
- Devices will be left unattended and connected to corporate resources, this is where IPS, access controls, and laptop session timeouts will become important.
- Making sure you understand the regulatory requirements for data breach of PII in your jurisdiction of operation.
- Reporting structure for incidents from both staff, customers and partners needs to fully documented an all parties made aware to roles and responsibilities.
Thanks for those of you who attended and all the security questions. The video of the session will be made available.
Update June 27, 2020: Please find a follow-up article on CIO Masterclass session held last month. There were lots of questions during the sessions and it was great to see the attendees actively participating in the discussion. It can be found here https://techeconomy.ng/2020/06/how-cios-handle-impact-of-covid-19-from-data-centre-banking-aviation-manufacturing-to-cyber-security-vi/